COVID-19 Update: All of our offices remain open for appointments.
Consults available via phone or Skype/Facetime. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!

Call Now
586-574-0916 or

- Spanish Speaking Clients Click Here


Taxes are not usually dischargeable in bankruptcy.

There is, however, an exception to nearly every rule. If you file for bankruptcy Eastpointe, you may be able to get back taxes, interest, and fines. You must fulfill the IRS's standards for tax remission for unpaid back taxes. Allow one of the Kostopoulos legal professionals to assist you in dealing with such a situation as IRS tax debt forgiveness.

In order to receive IRS tax forgiveness Eastpointe and have your tax debt discharged, you must meet these three qualifications:

  1. Tax debts need to be reviewed by the IRS at least 240 days before filing for bankruptcy.
  2. Your tax returns regarding the debt must be on file for at least two years.
  3. The debt forgiveness tax you owe the IRS must be at least three years old.

You may be allowed to file Chapter 7, Chapter 11, or Chapter 13 bankruptcy if you fulfill these requirements. Any of your creditors will be ordered to stop all collection attempts if you file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Your debt should be forgiven within 90 days of the start of your lawsuit. The IRS tax forgiveness program can pursue collection once your obligations have been dismissed.

While the automatic stay is in effect, you can make a repayment plan for the debts that will not be dismissed. Chapter 13 bankruptcy allows you to restructure your obligations and repay your creditors in smaller installments. Some of your debts may be dismissed as well if you file for Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

Contact Detroit Bankruptcy Law to schedule a free consultation

Southeast Michigan is represented by Detroit Bankruptcy Law. We have years of expertise and are board-certified in our profession, so we can assist you in determining the best path to financial independence. We are committed to assisting you with your case. We can assist you in resolving current tax liens and wage garnishments or even payroll tax deferral forgiveness. Call us to talk about your tax debt, and we'll show you what options are open to you.