COVID-19 Update: All of our offices remain open for appointments.
Consults available via phone or Skype/Facetime. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!

Call Now
586-574-0916 or

- Spanish Speaking Clients Click Here


Taxes are not generally dischargeable in Saginaw bankruptcy.

There is a way around this, though. Filing for bankruptcy can discharge your back taxes and fines. This is only if you meet the IRS qualifications for tax forgiveness on unpaid back taxes. Our tax experts at Kostopoulos can help you find out if you’re eligible for IRS tax debt forgiveness.

Here are the qualifications for discharging your tax debt through IRS tax debt forgiveness:

  1. Tax debts have to be reviewed by the IRS at least 240 days before filing for bankruptcy.
  2. Your tax returns for the debt must be on file for more than two years.
  3. The debt forgiveness tax you owe the IRS has to be at least three years old.

In the case that you qualify for IRS tax debt forgiveness, then you’ll be able to file for Chapter 7, Chapter 11, or Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Creditor collections will be stopped by any one of these chapters. If you choose Chapter 7, it’s likely that your debt will be forgiven within 90 days of filing. Once your obligations have been dismissed, the IRS tax forgiveness program can continue to pursue your debts.

Not all debts may be dismissed, and for those that still exist, you’ll be able to schedule a repayment plan throughout your automatic stay. Chapter 13 bankruptcy lets you restructure your remaining debt so it can be paid off in smaller amounts.

Contact Detroit Bankruptcy Law to set up a free consultation with one of our expert attorneys!

At Detroit Bankruptcy Law, we proudly counsel clients in Southeast Michigan. We have the board certifications and years of experience to back up our high-quality counsel. With our help, you’ll be able to put an end to tax liens, wage garnishment, and we can help get you payroll tax deferral forgiveness. Call now to find out more about how you can get tax forgiveness.